|Client:||Public Transport Authority of Western Australia (SmartRider)|
|Location:||Perth, WA||Capability Groups:||Asset and Facilities Management, and Operations|
|Contract Type:||Fixed Term||Contract Value:||AU $37 million|
The PTA moved to a tag on/off smartcard fare payment system (SmartRider) in early 2006. SmartRider was Australia’s first integrated intermodal Smartcard system in revenue service. It is was the second system (after Singapore) which is fully tag on/off and the first major metro integrated tag on/off system specified to ISO14443 Type A/B.
- 1100 bus and ferry driver consoles;
- 2300 bus and ferry smartcard validators;
- Equipment for 23 bus and ferry depots;
- 123 rail platform smartcard validators;
- 200 smartcard enabled rail automatic fare gates; and
- 600 handhelds and 60 retail.
Supply of all Supporting Management systems (e.g. full back end hardware and software systems) including:
- Settlement reconciliation and banking services;
- Smartcard funds and card management systems and services;
- Asset tracking;
- Condition status monitoring and maintenance management systems;
- Main server and depot systems; and
- Wireless networks, GPS, etc.
The main challenges were ongoing delays by other rail civil works being undertaken by separate contractors at the same time, causing productivity inefficiencies and delays to NGT’s portion of the works.
How We Managed This
NGT encouraged improved communication between all stakeholders. Through mutual agreement, changes were made to the site sequence, which allowed NGT to undertake works on sites that were ready, mitigating significant and costly delays.
Due to NGT’s extensive and varying work streams, we were able to offer and undertake any additional works identified to be completed on site during the installation phase of works (such as power or communication cabling or civil works). This gave a high level of comfort and confidence to the customer that once NGT left the site all outstanding works had been completed to a high quality standard.
Recognised by industry, the ‘SmartRider’ solution won the prestigious 2008 Voice/Data - Large Project Award from the National Electrical and Communications Association (NECA), and received a five-star rating in the 2016 Canstar national customer survey.
- LTI’s: 0
- MTI’s: 0